Thursday, February 07, 2008

I saw the Michaels!



This past Friday I saw comedy gods and The State/Stella members Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter at Toad's Place, the first stand-up show ever at the venue. It was a really funny night, one I've been waiting for since the early 90s. Showalter instantly got mad props from me for chanting "Spiders!" as he came out on the stage. Upon reflection, I think MIB was more consistantly funny, but Showalter's set was the best.

Some highlights, which'll make no sense unless you were there:

  • Shoes

  • Sarah Bareilles

  • Fucker's cock and sparkles

  • P.O.D.

  • Doug Wilder is crazy

  • Dockers

  • Antidepressants and peeing

  • BBs

  • "Did you brush your teeth?"

  • Partying at Applebee's, Bennigan's, Chili's, etc.

Check out MIB's blog post about my fine city.

Now, bring on The State DVDs!

As for Toad's Place, it was my first time there and I liked it. The sound was good and the room was clean and smoke-free (refreshing, so long as it's market-driven and not government-mandated!). Ever since the Flood Zone closed down, there's been a dearth of places to see shows by artists whose status is between local bar band and superstar. I'm glad the void has finally been filled.