Friday, April 28, 2006

Quick movie reviews: "Thank You For Smoking" and "Millions"


Nick Naylor and Cancer Boy

Thank You For Smoking: Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. I'm calling it: Movie of the Year (in my view, not the Academy's; they've got that anti-comedy bias, you know). Certainly the best flick espousing personal responsibility. And it's hilarious. I finally bought the book, but I want to plow through The Da Vinci Code first (I'm halfway through that one).



DVD Pick: Millions This is a GREAT movie. Kinda funny that Danny Boyle directed this quirky, family-friendly tale (I'm not knocking Trainspotting; I love that film, but it includes copious amounts of profanity, sex, and drug use, not to mention a scene involving the most disgusting toilet in the UK; this movie has nary a curse word). I'm no Catholic, but I really liked how the main character would talk to the saints. And one scene towards the end was really throat lump-inducing (but didn't elicit waterworks of Big Fish-ian proportions).

No comments: