Monday, December 12, 2005

"Ho! Ho! Ho! Pimp!"



I know we still have a couple of weeks, but I think I can pretty much call it. The award for Best New Christmas TV Programming goes to last week's episode of "The Office." It was just so brilliantly written and acted...hilarious. I've watched it maybe four times so far and I'm considering buying it off of iTunes. Yeah, I guess I'm a bit obsessive with my comedy (among other things). Some choice quotes:

Michael Scott: Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say 'Hey man, I love you this many dollars worth.'

Toby: I got Angela. She's into these posters of babies dressed as adults. I got her one of those. I felt...kinda weird buying that.

Phyllis: Does everyone know my boyfriend, Bob Vance?
Kevin: Kevin Malone.
Bob: Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration.
Stanley: Stanley Hudson.
Bob: Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration.
Ryan: Ryan Howard.
Bob: Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration.
Ryan: What line of work you in, Bob?

Michael Scott: Well, happy birthday Jesus. Sorry your party was so lame.

Ryan: Angela drafted me into the party planning committee. Her memo said that we need to prepare for every possible disaster. Which to me, seems...excessive.

Pam Beesley: You do realize we can't have liquor at the party.
Michael Scott: Yeah, I know... damnit. Stupid corporate...wet blankets. Like booze ever killed anybody.

Dwight Shrute: 'A real man makes his own luck,' Billy Zane, Titanic.

Michael Scott: So Phyllis is basically saying, "Hey Michael, I know you did a lot to help the office this year, but I only care about you an oven mitt's-worth." I gave Ryan an iPod!

Michael Scott: I got it! We are going to turn Secret Santa into Yankee Swap.
Jim: What is Yankee Swap?
Michael Scott: One person chooses a gift. The next person can either choose a gift or steal that person's gift. If your gift gets stolen, then you can steal someone else's gift or choose a new gift.
Jim Halpert: I thought that was called Nasty Christmas.
Pam Beesley: Yeah, we call it White Elephant.
Michael Scott: Well, I call it Fun!

Angela: Michael should have asked the party planning committee first. He's not supposed to just spring things on us out of nowhere. [begins to sob]

Dwight Shrute: Yankee Swap is like Machiavelli meets...Christmas.

Michael Scott: You're the expert. Is this enough to get 20 people plastered?
Salesperson: 15 bottles of vodka? Yeah. That should do it.

Meridith: The deal is, this is kind of my last hurrah, because I made a New Year's Resolution that I'm not going to drink anymore...during the week.

Michael Scott: Christmas is awesome. First of all, you get to spend time with people you love. Secondly, you can get drunk and no one can say anything. Third, you give presents. What's better than giving presents? And fourth, getting presents. So, four things. Not bad for one day. It's really the greatest day of all time.


If you missed this episode, it'll be rerun on Dec. 20 @ 9:30 pm. Catch it.

I think it's a smart idea on NBC's part moving this and "My Name Is Earl" to Thursdays. If only they'd also air "Scrubs" on that night, then they could definitely regain their Must See TV throne (at least to me).

And call me weird, but I think Angela may be in the running to be a future Crush of the Week.

6 comments:

Law Fairy said...

I just hope they put Scrubs in a spot that doesn't conflict with two of my other shows. I'm so glad they're taking the pressure off Tuesday nights -- now Thursday can just be NBC night! And thank God The Apprentice is over for the season :P Trump... shudder.

spydrz said...

I support the Scrubs move...that would be an awesome lineup.

Micah said...

The good news: for the time being, NBC will be airing two news episodes of "Scrubs" per week.

The bad news: both are on Tuesdays.

I don't think that conflicts with anything else for me, but it'd be nice to have one solid night (Thursday) of sitcoms, rather than have them spread out. Oh, well.

Anonymous said...

This move to Thursday presents me a serious dilemma; namely, do I watch the awesome new NBC bloc or longtime Thursday favorite, The O.C.? In addition, my social schedule could change and thus nullify the entire ordeal.

Oh, woe is me. Where is Tivo when I need it the most?

Micah said...

Three letters: DVR. It's changed my life (in regards to TV viewing habits, that is).

You know, going all the way back to college, I never really understood the whole "go out and party on Thursday nights" thing. I mean, you've got class or work the next morning. Can you not check your raging alcoholism for one more day?* Guess it's just me.

*Rhetorical question and not a slam on you, THSE. Everyone knows you can't help yourself. And you've got a doctor's note.

Anonymous said...

I go out on weekdays because life waits for no one. I've built a name for myself at my favorite bar simply by committing to a slow weekday night. One day I'll be too old and tired to leave home; I don't want to wonder if I've missed anything.