Thursday, September 15, 2005

I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

I've pretty much given up on the notion that I'll find any type of love or compainionship in this cold, barren world, so I need to find something to fill that black void. I'm not at a good point in my life to get a pet right now, so getting a dog's not an option (currently). The usual standby of "buying a ton of new CDs and DVDs" won't work since I'm trying to limit my spending, in anticipation for the move. Maybe a hobby. But what?

It hit me at the grocery store when I was stuck in line right next to the tobacco counter: smoking! Cigarettes aren't my thing (although I am vehemently anti-smoking ban). I dig the occasional cigar, but would like to try something new. One of my favorite professors in college smoked a pipe and his office always smelled great. I was very happy in college. A pipe! It makes total sense.

Now I just need to figure out how to take the plunge. And to control my snickering when I read the phrase "packing my pipe." In addition to the myriad of health benefits, I think it would be a nice accessory for my new brown corduroy blazer, which makes me look like an associate English or history professor.

Or maybe I'll just buy a ton of new CDs and DVDs.

9 comments:

jasdye said...

hey, a quote i recognize! although, to be fair, i think you used this one already.

my father smoked a (tobacco) pipe for awhile. not because he was academic, mind you. i think he wanted to be Sherlock Holmes. the leather Fonzie jacket didn't help much, though.

Micah said...

Fonzie was way cool.

I'm glad someone got the quote - probably one of my faves from Anchorman (but I don't think I've used it before).

spydrz said...

I used that quote once over on the 'web...
So is this an ABD jacket?

Hasselback said...

Ok, boy, enough with the self-pity crap. I'm going to try to hypnotize you over the internet. Stare directly at my picture and repeat after me...

I will moooooove to Saaaaaaaaipaaaaaaan...

I will marry some Fillipinaaaaaaaa hottieeeeeeee.....

I will be haaaaaaaapyyyyyy.....

I'm telling you. They're everywhere here.

Oh, yeah, and the pipe thing is a great idea. We had a club back at Norwich called pipes and stripes (you had to be a smoker with rank to be in it).

Good luck.

Kate The Great said...

Babe, you and I are just going through a phase. D Money and I had a great talk yesterday about the whole Dry Spell concept. You really should move to Censor Nasty. I had a cig yesterday after a pretty trying day myself. Nothing like supporting KY's #1 legal cash crop. Oh, and did you spell it "compainionship" intentionally? How appropriate.

Micah said...

spydrz - "ABD jacket"?

george - But I'm at my best when I throw pity parties. In fact, tonight will most likely consist of copious amounts of scotch and Gerald Collier's I Had To Laugh Like Hell (twangy depressing music at its best).

Saipan - it ain't gonna happen.

KtG - The word "spell" has connotations of a relatively short period of time. If you only knew how long my "spell" was, you'd laugh. Or pity me.

"Compainionship" - That was completely a subconscious slip. But I'm not going to correct it.

Anonymous said...

I wanna be on you.

Micah said...

Doesn't everybody?

Micah said...

Forgot to add: LET'S MAKE A BABY!